Alexander Povetkin has hit back at Dillian Whyte for doubting he had coronavirus when he postponed their rematch.
Povetkin pulled out of their original date in November, claiming he had been hospitalised by the virus and Whyte has questioned if he really was that ill.
The former WBA heavyweight champ is angered by Whyte’s claims and says he has the medical records to prove he was treated for coronavirus.
“With regards to Dillian Whyte, he can think and say whatever he wants,” said the Russian, whose only two pro losses were against Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua.
“We have the paperwork, we have documents with the different analysis and results. I can send these to Matchroom. This is not for discussion.
“I don’t feel any effects of having coronavirus now. I’ve trained well and my training camp has been good.”
Whyte, 32, kept up the attacks on Povetkin during Tuesday’s interviews with both fighters and claims he is using coronavirus as a convenient excuse if he loses Saturday’s rematch in the Rumble on the Rock in Gibraltar.
The Body Snatcher says Povetkin’s ploy will fail because he would not be fighting if he was not ready.
“He’s a professional, he’s a world champion, Olympic gold medallist and he’s got money,” said Whyte.
“He doesn’t need to fight. If he’s not fit and not well, he wouldn’t be taking the fight. But it’s a good excuse to say he has had the coronavirus.
“I gave him enough time to recover. I want to fight the best Povetkin I can, so I gave him time to recover.
“They wanted the fight on the sixth of March so clearly he knew he would be ready.
“They would not put him at risk if they didn’t think he was ready.”
Sign up for our boxing newsletter!
Every Monday we deliver our verdict on the weekend's fights and, more importantly, what's next for the winners and losers.
Signing up is easy, just click this link, enter your email address and select 'Boxing' from the list.
Povetkin, 41, sparked Whyte clean out with a spectacular left uppercut in their first fight in August and says the Brixton fighter, who had been ahead in the contest, does not understand boxing if he thinks that was a lucky shot.
The uppercut is one of Povetkin’s trademark shots and the 2004 Olympic champion says he has been working on it again in training ahead of their clash for the interim WBC title at the Europa Point Sports Complex.
Whyte has shown during his pro career that he is vulnerable to uppercuts and a bullish Povetkin said: “Definitely it was not a lucky punch.
“People who say that don’t understand boxing.
“I was training to use that punch from the left and from the right in training camp.
“There was nothing lucky about that punch in my view.
“We have to forget the first fight. This fight is a different story and I need to be ready for 12 rounds.
“But I am confident and I am always confident before I fight.”
Source: Read Full Article