Nate Diaz’s insult to Leon Edwards backfires as fight is booked for UFC 262

Nate Diaz has agreed to face Leon Edwards at UFC 262 -a month after claiming he didn't know who the Brit was.

Diaz and Edwards will clash over five rounds in the support act to Michael Chandler's clash with Charles Oliveira for the vacant lightweight title on May 15.

It will be Diaz's first appearance since his defeat by Jorge Masvidal in 2019 while Edwards makes a quick return to the Octagon following his aborted bout over Belal Muhammad earlier this month.

That fight was stopped in the second round and ruled a no-contest after Muhammad suffered an eye-poke.

Diaz said last night: "Check me out may 15th I’ll be headlining #UFC262 in Houston Texas.

"I’ll also have the new UFC lightweight title fight on the card I need people to know these guys are they’ve been working very hard and I can’t wait to see who gets my old crown. I’ll see you guys there."

But only last month, Diaz responded to a call-out from Birmingham's Edwards by saying: "And who the fuck is this?"

The Brit had said: "Nate just dribbled for an hour about wanting to fight at 170 against winners… let’s see it then Nate Diaz.

"[I'm on an] eight-fight win streak and No.3 in the world. Let’s go if you still think you’re a real one."

Edwards has spent just over five minutes in the cage over the last two years.

Sign up for our boxing newsletter!

Every Monday we deliver our verdict on the weekend's fights and, more importantly, what's next for the winners and losers.

Signing up is easy, just click this link, enter your email address and select 'Boxing' from the list.

He was an early victim of the coronavirus crisis when his clash with former welterweight champion Tyron Woodley was cancelled last March.

And he saw a proposed fight with Khamzat Chimaev postponed three times after first Edwards and then his opponent tested positive for Covid-19.

Diaz has been similarly inactive, however, having beaten Anthony Pettis in 2019 before his clash with Masvidal was stoped after the third round due to cuts suffered by Diaz.

"I'm ready to get this show on the road; I'm just trying to get it going," Diaz told ESPN recently. "Last year, it was a real bummer."

Source: Read Full Article