Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar terminated by MLB, put on ineligible list after sexual misconduct investigation

Major League Baseball has terminated Hall of Fame second baseman Roberto Alomar after investigating a 2014 incident of sexual misconduct, the league announced Friday.

Alomar, 53, was a consultant for MLB in his native Puerto Rico and filled myriad ambassadorial roles for the Toronto Blue Jays, for whom he made five of his 12 All-Star Game appearances and helped win World Series championships in 1992 and '93. 

But he is now on MLB's ineligible list after the league's findings.

“At my office’s request, an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm to review an allegation of sexual misconduct reported by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB’s Ineligible List are warranted. 

“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward. MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion.”

Roberto Alomar at the Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2014. (Photo: Gregory Fisher, USA TODAY Sports)

Alomar would have to apply to MLB for reinstatement from the permanently ineligible list, which is typically populated by baseball figures associated with competitive malfeasance, such as former St. Louis Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa, who hacked into the Houston Astros' databases, and former Atlanta Braves GM John Coppolella, who falsely inflated or deflated signing bonuses of prospects in the Dominican Republic. 

The list also includes former Astros assistant GM Brandon Taubman, whose misogynistic rant aimed at women reporters after the 2019 American League Championship Series surfaced awareness of such behavior in the industry. 

This past off-season, Mets GM Jared Porter resigned after ESPN reported his harrassing behavior of a woman reporter and Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway remains suspended after The Athletic reported his unwanted advances toward media members and baseball personnel. 

Alomar was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2011, receiving 90% of the vote, some three years before the incident that prompted his ban from MLB. The Hall of Fame announced Friday Alomar will reemain a "member in good standing" of the hall.

"The National Baseball Hall of Fame was shocked and saddened to learn of the news being shared today about Roberto Alomar," the Hall said in a statement. "When he was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in the Class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing. His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game, and his enshrinement reflects his eligibility and the perspective of the BBWAA voters at that time." 

Source: Read Full Article