Dana White has revealed Conor McGregor still has his heart set on a rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov after his defeat to the Russian at UFC 229.
The Irishman tapped out in the fourth round of the lightweight championship fight after months of bad blood between the duo.
And it continued after the bout with Nurmagomedov jumping into McGregor’s entourage sparking a mass brawl both inside and outside the Octagon.
White confirmed the duo spoke for an hour last week as McGregor ponders his next move.
Following UFC 230 on Saturday night, White told the Express: "Conor and I talked for an hour last week. And typical Conor. ‘I would love an immediate rematch, I want to fight him again.
"’But I’ll fight whoever I got to fight to get back to him if that’s not the case.’"
Interim lightweight champ Tony Ferguson looks most likely to be Nurmagomedov’s next opponent at this stage.
But the UFC must wait for the outcome of the upcoming disciplinary hearing into the post-fight brawl at UFC 229 before they can decide what to do next with the lightweight division.
Both fighters could find themselves in hot water with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but it is unclear when the hearing will take place.
White added: "We’re on the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s time now. We’re waiting until November… or December. Whenever that thing is.
"And when that thing plays out, then we’ll know where we sit and then we’ll know what’s next."
But Nurmagomedov insists he will not attend the hearing, saying the result is inconsequential to him.
"I’m not going to Vegas for the court. I am not guilty," he told BeIN Sports. "I just defended my family and my religion. If they want to punish me, they can get all the money I earn.
"They can give me 10 years ban. I don’t care."
Source: Read Full Article