Some NBA players are returning to the hardwood this weekend — virtually, of course.
With the league's regular season still suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic and no set return in sight, the league has partnered with NBA 2K to create a players-only tournament that will air this weekend and next on ESPN.
Aside from filling the void of live sports, the winner of the tournament will receive $100,000 to donate to a charity connected to coronavirus relief efforts.
Players submit a list of eight teams they can choose from prior to the tournament's start, and they can use the same team only once during the event.
The first and second rounds of the tournament are single elimination, while the semifinals and finals become best of three series.
Players only 😏 16 NBA players will compete head to head in the NBA 2K Players Tournament. First Round starts this Friday on ESPN
Tweet #NBA2KTourney to tell us who you got as the best 2K player https://t.co/vGw6TgbqB8
The seedings are (players with the same overall rating are seeded based on NBA tenure):
1. Kevin Durant, Brooklyn Nets (96)
2. Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks (90)
3. Hassan Whiteside, Portland Trail Blazers (87)
4. Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz (87)
5. Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns (86)
6. Andre Drummond, Cleveland Cavaliers (85)
7. Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls (85)
8. Montrezl Harrell, Los Angeles Clippers (85)
9. Domantas Sabonis, Indiana Pacers (85)
10. Deandre Ayton, Phoenix Suns (85)
11. DeMarcus Cousins (81)
12. Michael Porter Jr., Denver Nuggets (81)
13. Rui Hachimura, Washington Wizards (79)
14. Patrick Beverley, Los Angeles Clippers (78)
15. Harrison Barnes, Sacramento Kings (78)
16. Derrick Jones Jr., Miami Heat (78)
The schedule for the tournament his weekend is:
Friday, 7-11:30 p.m. ET (ESPN and ESPN2)
Sunday, 12-4 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
The quarterfinals are scheduled for Tuesday and the semifinals/finals next Saturday, April 11.
Source: Read Full Article