Brisbane Broncos legend Darren Lockyer has conceded he is “worried” about the future of his former club after a fifth consecutive NRL loss on the weekend.
Having not managed a victory since before the coronavirus lockdown, the Broncos have slipped to 15th on the NRL ladder. The struggling club had not lost five consecutive games since 2012.
Following their shocking round seven defeat to the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday, former premiership player Ben Ikin slammed the Broncos’ “disgusting” list management and “ineffective” roster on Fox League’s NRL 360.
“The list management at the Brisbane Broncos has been disgusting. Disgusting,” Ikin said on Monday.
“There’s no way around it. The 30-man squad that they have assembled is ineffective, it’s out of balance.”
In response, former teammate Lockyer accepted the Broncos needed to “fix up” the club’s salary cap by making “better decisions”.
“Salary cap management is a big part of having success on the field and the Broncs, probably like a lot of other clubs, there are a few pressures there in the salary cap. That’s probably going to take a little bit of time to fix up,” Lockyer said on Wide World of Sports’ QLDER.
“It’s something that if you don’t get it right and you’re losing footy games, it gets picked apart.
“It’s up to the people within the Broncos, and that includes myself, to start making some better decisions.”
Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold.Source:News Corp Australia
Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has come under the spotlight for the club’s recent failures, but Lockyer is “pretty confident” the Queenslander is capable of turning things around in the coming months.
“I said at the start of the year there was no excuses for the Broncos this year,” Lockyer said.
“I felt they should be improving on what they did last year and at the moment, where we sit, that’s not the case. But there’s still 13 rounds to go until the finals.
“From my perspective, if we keep going down this path, well you start to get a little bit worried about the future, but I’m pretty confident within the group of players and the coaching staff that they’ll start to get it right between now and the end of the season.”
Seibold is in the second year of his five-year coaching contract after guiding the South Sydney Rabbitohs to the preliminary final in 2018.
On Tuesday, veteran coach Wayne Bennett took a swipe at Seibold after it was suggested he had left the club with a subpar roster when he was unceremoniously axed as Broncos coach in late 2018.
South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett.Source:News Regional Media
“I have no doubt he thought he could win a premiership with this Broncos roster. No coach, particularly a young one, would take a job with an inferior roster to the one he is leaving. You just don’t do that,” Bennett told the Courier-Mail.
“I did not coach or have a rundown football team at the Broncos.
“Let’s look at their current roster. Seibold has 12 players with Origin or Test experience.
“What are we talking here? We are being lost in the smoke-and-mirrors.
“There is a lot of talent there under Seibold, but no-one is playing to their talent.”
Still searching for their first win since March, the Broncos will take on the New Zealand Warriors on Saturday afternoon at Central Coast Stadium.
Source: Read Full Article