‘On the mend, not in the clear’: Harawira-Naera out of hospital as seizure investigation begins

Save articles for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.

Corey Harawira-Naera has been discharged from Westmead Hospital and is in good spirits as the Raiders begin investigating the cause of his on-field seizure against the Rabbitohs.

Harawira-Naera’s sudden collapse at Accor Stadium on Saturday night caused a lengthy stoppage in the game and significant concern for the Kiwi back-rower, who lay convulsing on the turf being taken from the field on a medicab.

Harawira was conscious and responsive before he was taken to hospital in an ambulance, and has recovered further after more medical examinations.

He was released from hospital early on Sunday morning and provided an update via social media later in the day, thanking players and medical staff from both sides for their concern and quick action.

“I’m doing a lot better now,” Harawira-Naera said.

“Love to you all for thinking of me and the prayers and that.

“I’m back on the mend. I’m not in the clear yet but we’ll get some more scans and sort it out. Health comes first but obviously hoping to get back on the field soon. Love to you all and I’m very fortunate to have a lot of people concerned about me and thinking about me.”

There is no timeframe on his return to play, or a definitive incident identified as the cause of Harawira-Naera’s seizure at this stage.

After returning to Canberra after midnight, Raiders medical staff are set to go through game vision on Sunday to identify the potential causes of the episode, and will consult with specialists to road map Harawira-Naera’s recovery.

Corey Harawira-Naera in the hands of medical staff after suffering a seizure at Accor Stadium.Credit: Getty

He was involved in an innocuous tackle around 35 seconds before he fell to the turf, where he took on two Souths defenders and landed on his front, with his head not appearing to hit the ground in the process.

Harawira-Naera played the ball and remained on his haunches afterwards, before moving into the backfield and signalling to the sideline.

Referee Grant Atkins stopped play moments later after Harawira-Naera had spun in a circle before falling and convulsing.

Players gather around Corey Harawira-Naera as he receives medical attention.Credit: Getty

Harawira-Naera was placed on oxygen before he was brought from the field with coach Ricky Stuart summing up the confronting scenes after full-time.

“They aren’t sure why the seizure occurred,” Stuart said.

“They are situations that are uncommon and scary. It’s one of your mates, it makes it even harder. When it’s such a serious thing such as a seizure. It’s scary. You can’t stop thinking where is this going? It lasted a good 30 seconds.

“Fortunately he was conscious coming off the field. He had great medical attention immediately. That’s when you see the real character of these footballers. Everyone got around it was a serious situation. A lot of care for him.”

Most Viewed in Sport

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article