Bournemouth ace Lerma appears to be PUNCHED by Palace's Andersen

Bournemouth ace Jefferson Lerma appears to be PUNCHED in the face by Crystal Palace’s Joachim Andersen, leaving him with a BROKEN NOSE… as fuming Cherries boss Gary O’Neill demands answers from refs chief Howard Webb

  • The Bournemouth midfielder was left with a broken nose after receiving a punch 
  • The incident occurred during the Cherries’ 2-0 defeat away to Crystal Palace 
  • Lerma collided with Eagles defender Joachim Andersen and clutched his face 

Jefferson Lerma suffered a broken nose from a punch in the face by Crystal Palace defender Joachim Andersen and Bournemouth boss Gary O’Neil insists he will demand answers over the situation from PGMOL chief Howard Webb. 

The Cherries midfielder went down clutching his face in the 30th minute of the match at Selhurst Park on Saturday, which the hosts ended up winning 2-0. 

However, the main talking point from the match has been an off-the-ball incident between Lerma and Palace defender Andersen. 

The two players collide in the middle of the box, with the Danish defender appearing to extend a fist into the face of the Bournemouth midfielder. 

Lerma went down clutching his face and proceeded to receive treatment however, despite a lengthy check from VAR, referee Michael Salisbury signalled for play to continue. Andersen escaped a caution. 

Jefferson Lerma was left with a broken nose after suffering a punch in the face during Bournemouth’s 2-0 defeat to Crystal Palace

The midfielder went down clutching his face after a collision with Palace defender Joachim Andersen in the 30th minute of the match

Footage that emerged afterwards appeared to show Andersen throw a punch in Lerma’s face

Speaking after the match, Cherries boss O’Neil was bemused by the decision and told BBC Sport: ‘Andersen punched Lerma in the face, Jefferson has a broken nose. I’m not sure what we have to do to get a penalty.

‘It’s difficult on the pitch to see that, but I have no idea how VAR can give it as check complete.

‘He [Lerma] was in pain, his nose is broken, it was a strange incident. But there are other things I need to talk about. A penalty could have made a difference but Palace were far better.’

O’Neil later suggested that he will be speaking with the chief refereeing officer at PGMOL, Howard Webb, about the incident tomorrow. 

The Cherries were level in the match when the incident occurred but, shortly afterwards, fell behind to an Eberechi Eze strike. 

The English attacker doubled his tally for the afternoon after half-time and compiled the misery on O’Neil’s side, who sit 14th in the table. 

VAR has been a highly contentious subject in the Premier League and, on Monday Night Football, Howard Webb will discuss a number of dubious calls made this season. 

Bournemouth boss Gary O’Neil insisted that he would bring up the incident with PGMOL chief Howard Webb

Source: Read Full Article