Chelsea to take ‘strongest action’ after alleged racism towards Son Heung-min

For the latest from the pitch sign up for our football newsletter

We have more newsletters

Chelsea have insisted they will take the "strongest action" possible after launching an investigation into an alleged racist incident during their 2-2 draw with Tottenham on Sunday.

South Korean forward Son Heung-min is alleged to have been racially abused by a member of the Stamford Bridge crowd, with photos emerging online of a man appearing to make a racist gesture towards the player as he prepared to take a corner.

Chelsea have previously handed out lifetime bans to supporters found guilty of racist abuse and have promised to maintain their zero tolerance position on any form of discrimination in this instance.

READ MORE: Thiago Silva slams Anthony Taylor on Instagram for missing Marc Cucurella hair pull

"Chelsea Football Club finds any form of discriminatory behaviour totally abhorrent. It has no place at Chelsea or in any of our communities," the club said in a statement on Thursday.

"Chelsea FC has consistently made its zero tolerance position on discriminatory behaviour very clear, yet there are still idiots like this that attach themselves to this club as so-called ‘fans’, which shames Chelsea FC, our coaches, players, staff and our true supporters.

"We are investigating this incident and, if identified, this individual will face the strongest action from the club."

Should football clubs be doing more to combat discrimination? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.


Chelsea have a long-running No To Hate campaign and introduced a new method to try and tackle discrimination from the stands during Sunday's match against Tottenham.

On the back of every seat, they attached instructions on how to report incidents of discrimination or abuse, either by text or by scanning a QR Code.

The club said they believe that identifying a specific seat from which incidents either happen or are reported will increase the likelihood of culprits being caught.

READ NEXT:

  • Ex-Liverpool transfer guru Michael Edwards snubs Chelsea sporting director job

  • Graeme Souness doesn't regret "man's game" comment on Sky Sports despite backlash

  • Wesley Fofana hands in transfer request to force move and 'agrees Chelsea terms'

  • Chelsea FC
  • Tottenham Hotspur FC
  • Premier League

Source: Read Full Article