Man Utd: The first six fixtures of the new Premier League season
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Manchester United are inching closer to a deal for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho. And United’s executive vice-chairman wants to get the deal over the line before Sancho is back with his club after Euro 2020.
Man Utd’s long pursuit of Sancho could be finally nearing its conclusion, with an improved bid this weekend coming closer to meeting Dortmund’s £85million valuation of the player.
Woodward famously missed out on the England international after failing to agree terms with the Bundesliga club.
But the executive, who is stepping down from his role at the end of the year, is happier with the asking-price this time around, with Sancho a year closer to the end of his Dortmund contract.
The 21-year-old enjoyed another terrific season last time out, bagging 16 goals in all competitions to go along with a hatful of assists.
And according to the Sunday People, Woodward feels that his chances of getting a deal completed are much more likely while the forward is with the England squad, particularly as Dortmund are believed to have put a deadline on the deal – as they also did in 2020.
The attacking unit has not been United’s weakness in recent seasons. But, speaking after the loss in the Europa League final to Villarreal, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did reveal that he was open to bringing in players who could add real quality to the starting XI.
“I’ve been delighted with the effort, the desire, the determination of all of the players, I can’t fault them at all,” Solskjaer said.
“We’ve probably done as well as anyone could imagine.
“We are here now, we need to do better, we need to work better, work harder, cleverer. But as I said two or three players to strengthen the starting XI and the squad all together is important for us to go even further.
“Because I’m sure our contenders or challengers will also want to improve and we want to improve as much as we can.”
However, former England international and pundit John Barnes believes the addition of Sancho alone won’t turn Solskjaer’s side into a team capable of competing for the top honours.
“They’ll still be inconsistent,” Barnes told Bonus Code Bets earlier this month.
“Manchester United’s problem hasn’t been their attacking play and scoring goals. They’ve got [Edinson] Cavani, [Mason] Greenwood, [Anthony] Martial, [Marcus] Rashford, [Bruno] Fernandes and [Paul] Pogba, they’re all good attackers.
“Sancho will add to that, but their problem is that they’ve not been consistent enough and they’ve conceded goals and lost matches because they’re not strong enough defensively.
“It’ll be a good signing for them – a young English player which is what you want in the squad. But I don’t think it will make them challengers.
“They’ll be in the top four, but they’re not consistent enough and they haven’t got the right balance between attack and defence to compete with Manchester City or Liverpool.”
Source: Read Full Article