Liverpool have ‘concrete interest’ in Harvey Barnes transfer but Reds set to miss out

Liverpool: 2021/22 season preview

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Leicester City forward Harvey Barnes has been the subject of interest from Liverpool since the beginning of the summer transfer window, but the 23-year-old is highly unlikely to join the Anfield club before this month’s deadline, according to reports. Barnes has emerged as an important player for the Foxes since breaking into the first-team picture two years ago and made 35 appearances in all competitions last season.

The versatile attacker, who made his England debut in October of last year, has caught the eye on plenty of occasions with his ability to pull the strings at the top of the pitch.

He is usually deployed in a wide role by Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers, but is equally capable of thriving as a No 10 when required to fill in for the likes of James Maddison.

Barnes has been linked with a summer move to Liverpool as a result of his impressive performances for the west Midlands outfit in recent months.

The Reds are reportedly weighing up the addition of a new attacker in order to provide their established front three of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane with some additional competition for places.

However, it seems as though Barnes will not be their man, or at least for the foreseeable future.

JUST IN: Man Utd handed Goretzka boost as Bayern chief details contract stance

He is poised to sign a new deal with Leicester to keep him at the King Power Stadium until the summer of 2025, according to The Athletic.

The report claims that Liverpool have a ‘concrete interest’ in bringing Barnes to Anfield, but the possibility of a summer move now appears to be dead in the water.

The Reds will now be forced to pursue other targets if they are to bolster their forward line before the transfer window slams shut.

West Ham United winger Jarrod Bowen has also been tipped to join Liverpool in recent weeks, with the 24-year-old said to be on Jurgen Klopp’s radar.

Jeremy Doku of Rennes is another name to have been mentioned in connection with the six-time European champions since the end of last season.

Liverpool have reportedly launched an enquiry over the possibility of a move for the teenage speedster, who is one of Ligue 1’s finest prospects.

However, there is a chance that Klopp could decide against a return to the transfer market in favour of utilising the club’s existing youth talent.

Harvey Elliott enjoyed a strong pre-season and was introduced as a substitute during Liverpool’s comfortable win over Norwich City on Saturday evening.

Ben Woodburn was also named on the bench for the visit to Carrow Road and could be set to feature on a rotational basis this season in order to provide cover for the club’s established starters.

Klopp recently admitted that the likes of Elliott and Woodburn could soon be primed for senior roles, suggesting that the Reds will be unable to compete with the big-spending habits of Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United this summer.

“We have to keep the spaces open for these exceptional talents and that’s what we try,” the Liverpool boss told reporters.

“It’s not always possible and that doesn’t mean it will happen next week, next month or next year.

“It’s just we need to show that we are a club who gives opportunity to these kind of talents. That’s what we want to show.”

Source: Read Full Article