Liverpool: The first six fixtures of the new Premier League season
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Netherlands international Donyell Malen is a transfer target for Liverpool this summer according to reports, and talks between the two parties have been opened. The PSV attacker enjoyed a sparkling season in the Eredivise and has carried that form into Euro 2020.
Malen featured in the Dutch side’s 3-0 win over North Macedonia on Monday, laying on an assist for Memphis Depay.
And the 22-year-old’s display cemented Liverpool’s interest after a season that saw him score 27 goals for PSV in the Dutch top-flight.
The forward is expected to cost in the region of £34million, the same fee as Liverpool paid for Mohamed Salah from Roma in 2017.
Sky Sport Germany say Liverpool have opened talks about a deal to bring Malen, who has been compared to Salah, in this summer.
And his signature would be the first attacking signing of the summer for Liverpool, with Michael Edwards and the club’s transfer specialists instead focusing on strengthening defence after an injury-hit season at the back.
Liverpool are also on the hunt for central midfield options after Gini Wijnaldum’s departure for Paris Saint-Germain.
But adding goals to the Liverpool attack could be particularly important ahead of the upcoming season, with Jurgen Klopp set to lose the services of both Salah and Sadio Mane to the Africa Cup of Nations during the campaign.
However, Liverpool should have Salah available for the start of the season after it emerged that the club have turned down Egypt’s request for the forward to play in the Tokyo Olympics.
“We contacted Liverpool to allow Salah to join the Olympic team, and they said they were waiting for the approval of the technical staff,” the Egyptian FA’s president Ahmed Megahed said.
“But in the end, Liverpool refused the request because they do not want to lose the player at the beginning of the season, as well as next January with the Africa Cup of Nations, which will keep him from participating in the English Premier League matches.”
Liverpool have already been busy strengthening their squad ahead of the new campaign, confirming the signing of talented youngster Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig earlier this month.
The 22-year-old French defender has been a revelation at Leipzig, showcasing a style of play reminiscent of Liverpool’s own Virgil van Dijk.
And Konate’s former Leipzig colleague Yvon Mvogo has no doubt that the defender will cut it at Anfield.
“Ibra Konate is just such a fantastic defender,” he said. “He had some injuries this year so he couldn’t show his full potential.
“He’s one of the best young defenders I have seen in my career and I just wish him all the best at Liverpool.
“I’m sure he will succeed there and show everyone what a great player he is.”
Source: Read Full Article