Manchester United are considering pulling out of talks to sign Jadon Sancho after growing increasingly frustrated with Borussia Dortmund. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer struck a breakthrough earlier this week when he agreed personal terms with the England international.
There was a major sticking point between United and Sancho over his salary expectations and agent fee.
Solskjaer spoke to the 20-year-old to push the deal on in an attempt to get the winger in the door before United’s Premier League opener against Crystal Palace on September 19.
Sancho was made the No 1 target at the start of the summer but Dortmund slapped a £108million price tag on his head.
The Bundesliga outfit have refused to budge from that stance and United are unwilling to spend more than £80m.
United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has grown frustrated with the negotiating process and is now threatening to walk away from the table, according to the Daily Star.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
The Red Devils have been confident that they will sign Sancho before the October 5 transfer deadline.
But with every passing week there is a growing uncertainty among those at Old Trafford.
United will soon have to start looking at alternative options with Bayern Munich’s Douglas Costa, Atletico Madrid ace Joao Felix and Real Madrid outcast Gareth Bale being considered.
Former United defender Rio Ferdinand feels it is vitally important that Solskjaer secures his top target this summer.
Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer as Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea spend [TRANSFERS]
Premier League fixtures on TV: How to watch EVERY game this weekend [TV GUIDE]
Fantasy Premier League tips: Seven players to consider for Gameweek 1 [FPL ADVICE]
He said: “They need more of that and we know they are looking to sign players like Jadon Sancho, but clearly this is a different summer with the coronavirus having a big impact on budgets at a lot of clubs.
“It looks like only a handful of clubs will have money to spend and that gives United, Chelsea and Manchester City a chance to close the gap on Liverpool if they get their signings right this summer.”
However, United legend Gary Neville believes it is time the club started to look elsewhere.
“That’s been the frustration with Sancho,” the ex-full-back said.
Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
“The fact that it’s dragged on. Just say to Dortmund ‘leave him there’ and go get another player.
“There are plenty of players around, there can’t be just one player you’re chasing.
“If you can’t get a deal done (for Sancho) you have to move on. You certainly have to give hard deadlines on players.”
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article