‘You employ a man who spat at a girl from his car!’: Matt Le Tissier reveals he questioned why Jamie Carragher can still work for Sky Sports when he was sacked to save their ‘reputation’ after his Covid rants
- Matt Le Tissier was sacked from Soccer Saturday after 15 years in August 2020
- He was shown the door by Sky along with Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas
- Le Tissier was told that Sky had to ‘take into account the reputation of the company when making these decisions’ in reference to his social media posts
- In 2018, pundit Jamie Carragher was brought back to Sky after being suspended for six months for spitting at a 14-year-old girl from his car
- Le Tissier questioned why Sky were therefore still employing Carragher
Matt Le Tissier has revealed that he questioned why Sky Sports were still employing Jamie Carragher after his own sacking from Soccer Saturday in 2020.
After 15 years on one of Sky’s flagship football shows, Southampton legend Le Tissier was shown the door alongside colleagues Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas.
Now, explaining how it came about two years ago, Le Tissier says he brought up Jamie Carragher’s spitting incident in 2018 – when the pundit spat at a 14-year-old girl from his car – when Sky’s ‘reputation’ was used as a potential reason for his dismissal.
Matt Le Tissier (left) has revealed that he questioned why Sky Sports were still employing Jamie Carragher (right) after his own sacking from Soccer Saturday in 2020
Carragher was suspended for the rest of the season by Sky in March 2018 following the incident (right), apologised, and was reinstated for the start of the next season in August
Carragher was suspended for the rest of the season by Sky in March 2018 following the incident, apologised, and was reinstated for the start of the next season in August.
Describing how he was told of his sacking, Le Tissier – who has used his platform on social media to spread Covid-19 conspiracy theories – told The Rob Moore podcast: ‘Within five seconds I was told there was no more work for me at Sky.
‘I had about seven months left to run on my contract but I was told that I wouldn’t be needed anymore.
‘They didn’t really give a particular reason, they just said “the show was going in a different direction”, they were the words I think they used. So I asked the question, “does this have anything to do with my posts on social media?”
‘To which their reply was, “well we have to take into account the reputation of the company when making these decisions.” At which point I said “oh that’s interesting, because at the moment, you are employing somebody who spat at a girl from his car”.
In a number of quick-fire dismissals, Le Tissier (second left) was let go by Sky in August 2020
‘Jamie Carragher, who spat at a young girl through his car. They suspended him for six months and then brought him back into the fold. I said “do you not think that might have harmed the reputation of the company at all” and I got told “we can’t talk about other people on this’ so that was it really.”
Le Tissier has used his Twitter platform to spread Covid-19 vaccine conspiracy theories. He has over 585,000 followers.
Last November, The Times reported that Le Tissier’s posts were being shared by Premier League footballers who were hesitant about getting vaccinated.
He has previously admitted that his controversial views at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic – which has caused almost 170,000 deaths in the UK – ‘probably ended up with me losing my job at Sky.’
Le Tissier, 53, has used his Twitter platform to spread Covid-19 vaccine conspiracy theories
Le Tissier has doubled down on his controversial beliefs about the Covid pandemic with the Southampton legend claiming ‘PCR tests were the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on mankind.’
The former Premier League star, 53, was also heavily criticised in April after appearing to suggest that the media have lied about the unfolding horrors in eastern Europe, which have seen thousands of people killed and millions become refugees.
The Southampton hero retweeted a post from an account named Unity News Net, which claimed the atrocities in Ukraine had been falsified by the media after ‘weapons of mass destruction’, ‘Covid’ and ‘the Hunter Biden laptop’. Le Tissier captioned his tweet ‘This’, with a finger-pointing emoji down to the Unity News Net post.
Grisly images of what are claimed to be civilian massacres allegedly carried out by Russian forces in Bucha before they withdrew have stirred a global outcry in recent days, and prompted Western nations to expel dozens of Moscow’s diplomats and propose further sanctions, including a ban on coal imports from Russia.
Le Tissier quit as an ambassador at Southampton Football Club in April
On Twitter, Le Tissier retweeted a post suggesting the media have ‘lied’ about certain events
US president Joe Biden lambasted Vladimir Putin as a ‘war criminal’ and described the killing of civilians in Bucha as a ‘war crime’.
Following the backlash to his tweet, Le Tissier quit as an ambassador at Southampton football club in April but stopped short of apologising for spreading conspiracy theories.
However, the former midfielder has now admitted his tweet questioning the truth over the events in Bucha was ‘the wrong thing to do’.
Le Tissier played 270 times for Southampton in the Premier League, scoring 100 goals. He also played eight times for England.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article