Jonjo Shelvey says he contemplated driving down to St James' Park and having a beer with Newcastle fans when their £300million takeover was announced last week.
The Magpies are now under new ownership after Mike Ashley sold his shares to a consortium led by Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, whose arrival makes them one of the wealthiest clubs in world football.
Bin Salman's Public Investment Fund is reportedly worth a staggering £320billion, handing Newcastle serious financial muscle.
When the takeover was confirmed last Thursday, ecstatic Toon fans flocked to St James' Park to celebrate; drinking beer, singing chants and letting off flares in their hundreds.
And Shelvey, who has spent the last six years at the club, admits he came close to joining the party.
"Those scenes outside the stadium were incredible," the Newcastle midfielder told the Daily Mail.
"I was going to have a drive down, I wanted to get out there with a beer myself!
Do you think Newcastle will qualify for the Champions League under their new owners? Let us know in the comments section below.
Newcastle star takes aim at Mike Ashley and knows fans want Kylian Mbappe
"That reaction at the stadium is unique. The fans have suffered a lot in the past, so I think what we saw was a release of frustration and relief that the deal had finally happened.
"Credit to the fans, too, because they have helped push this deal through. It gives us all so much to look forward to.
Newcastle poised to snub Frank Lampard in managerial hunt despite ‘options on table’
"I went to watch Newcastle Blue Star on Friday night, my mate plays in goal. There were about 1,000 fans there, fully-grown men wearing Arab clothes, I couldn’t believe it.
"I got off at half-time because I couldn’t really watch the game in the end, but it was mad. They were so happy."
Don't miss a thing with our football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?
Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.
And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
Newcastle are already being linked with a host of world-class names following Bin Salman's takeover, with reports in Italy claiming Juventus duo Federico Chiesa and Matthijs de Ligt are on their radar.
Steve Bruce is also expected to be replaced as manager in the coming future by an elite-level name such as Antonio Conte, Paulo Fonseca, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard.
Source: Read Full Article