Virgil van Dijk insists Liverpool WILL still be able to attract transfer targets even if they miss out on Champions League football but the Dutch defender admits ‘everybody knows we’ve been going through a little bit of a transition’
- Virgil van Dijk insisted Liverpool can attract top talents to join club this summer
- Jurgen Klopp’s side have endured a disappointing campaign by their standards
- Reds look set to miss out on Champions League football for first time since 2017
Virgil van Dijk has insisted Liverpool will be able to attract new talents to join the club this summer, even if they fail to qualify for Champions League football.
After enjoying the most successful spell in the club’s recent history under Jurgen Klopp, the Reds have faltered this season, and currently sit outside of the Champions League places.
If Manchester United avoid defeat to Chelsea on Thursday Liverpool will fail to qualify for Europe’s premier club competition for the first time the 2015/16 season, Klopp’s maiden campaign on Merseyside.
With the likes of Roberto Firmino, Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner departing the club when their contracts expire in the summer, Klopp is expected to bring in a number of new faces over the summer to bolster his squads depth.
But despite Champions League football looking increasingly unlikely, Van Dijk insisted that players will still want to come and ply their trade at Anfield.
Virgil van Dijk insisted a lack of Champions League football would not deter players from joining Liverpool this summer
A mixed campaign means Jurgen Klopp’s side are likely to miss out on a place in Europe’s premier club competition
‘Pre-season will be massive,’ Van Dijk told reporters.
‘Everybody knows we’ve been going through a little bit of a transition and, if I’m a player on the rise and I have options to go to the next step and Liverpool is knocking on my door, then I would be very, very interested.
‘I don’t think it’s going to change much, but if someone wants to play Champions League no matter what, then that’s their ambition.’
Jude Bellingham had been earmarked as one of the club’s top targets for a rebuild in midfield, but the club pulled out of the race to sign the highly coveted Borussia Dortmund star last month.
The 19-year-old now looks set to move to the Bernabeu but a number of top talents remain linked with a move to Anfield when the transfer window opens.
Alexis Mac Allister has established himself as an integral part of Roberto De Zerbi’s Brighton side this season, and earned further plaudits for his role in Argentina’s World Cup-winning squad in Qatar last year.
The 24-year-old has been repeatedly linked with a move to Klopp’s side, but they will face competition from Manchester United who are also said to be keen on securing his signature.
After missing out on Jude Bellingham, the Reds are said to be interested in signing Brighton star Alexis Mac Allister
Source: Read Full Article