We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United’s board have told Ralf Rangnick they’re willing to take action in the January transfer window, according to reports. The German has overseen a rocky start to his time at Old Trafford, having replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer last month. Yet despite his appointment being greeted with excitement, doubts are already starting to creep in.
Manchester United’s season stooped to a new low on Monday night, with Wolves beating them 1-0 courtesy of Joao Moutinho’s late strike.
It was a deserved defeat for the Red Devils, who were insipid throughout the showdown – managing just two shots on target, compared to their opponents’ six.
United also put only marginally more passes together than Bruno Lage’s side and their pass accuracy was inferior, too.
Rangnick is facing a big fight to turn things around, with supporters jeering some of his decisions during that showdown.
And The Times say that, with several players wanting out, the club are ready to take action in the January transfer window.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
Anthony Martial, Dean Henderson and Donny van de Beek are said to have told Rangnick they want to leave this month, either permanently or on loan.
And the United hierarchy have told Rangnick that funds are available should he wish to replace them with new faces.
RB Leipzig star Amadou Haidara is said to be on a shortlist of potential recruits.
It’s common knowledge United would love to sign Erling Haaland, too, though any deal for the Borussia Dortmund hitman is likelier to be in the summer.
And they’ve been regularly linked with Julian Alvarez, who has taken Argentinean football by storm by shining with River Plate.
Four Man Utd players West Ham could accept in Rice swap deal
Abramovich backs punishment for Chelsea striker Lukaku
Six players Liverpool could axe this year
United may, however, decide to keep the trio.
Rangnick knows his side have many matches left to play and won’t want to leave them short as they look to turn their season around.
They can still finish in the Premier League top four, though the defeat to Wolves means they’re four points behind Arsenal with a game in hand.
United will kick off their FA Cup campaign against Aston Villa on Monday night, a tournament they’ve won just once since 2004.
And they’re still in with a hunt of securing Champions League glory, though Atletico Madrid in the round of 16 will be tricky opponents.
Martial could be offloaded to Sevilla this month, while Juventus, Barcelona and Newcastle have also been linked.
Henderson won’t be short of offers as he looks to nail down a place in England’s squad for the World Cup in Qatar later this year.
And Van de Beek has been tracked by Everton and Barcelona as he looks to put his nightmare spell at Old Trafford behind him.
Meanwhile, Luke Shaw sent alarm bells ringing with his comments about United ‘not being there together’ following the Wolves defeat.
“Not good enough, we really struggled,” he said. “We couldn’t get hold of the ball and when we didn’t have the ball we weren’t aggressive enough. We didn’t put them under any pressure.
“It maybe looked like an easy game for them. A disappointing performance and result.
“We didn’t have many options on the ball and we weren’t on the front foot.
“We have to put more pressure on them, we have to have intensity. Us players, we have been here a long time, maybe tonight we struggled, I didn’t think we were all there together. You look at the players we have, we have unbelievable quality but sometimes quality is not enough.
“We need to bring the intensity and more motivation. Inside the dressing room, we know what we want but out on the pitch we need to give 100 per cent.
“To win these types of games we all need to be 100 per cent committed. It is tough and disappointing.”
Source: Read Full Article