Wigan beat rivals to the signing of former Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Amos… with the 31-year turning down the chance to return to Old Trafford so he could play regular football
- Ipswich were also interested in signing Ben Amos, but Wigan have got their man
- The 31-year-old allowed his Charlton contract to run down after a strong season
- Amos kept 17 clean sheets and played every all 46 League One games last term
- Paul Cook’s men have already brought in five other players on free transfers
- Among them is Max Power, who played for the Latics between 2015 and 2018
Wigan Athletic have beaten off rivals to the signature of former Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Amos.
The 31-year-old was a free agent after allowing his contract to run down at Charlton Athletic, who were keen to re-sign him this summer.
Amos also rejected the option of returning to Manchester United as cover as he wanted to continue playing regular football.
Ben Amos has opted to join Charlton’s League One rivals Wigan after impressing at The Valley
The 31-year-old also rejected a return to Manchester United in favour of regular football
Former Wigan midfielder Max Power has returned to the club after three years at Sunderland
Ipswich Town manager Paul Cook also showed an interest, but Wigan have stepped in with a three-year contract for the former England Under-21 international and his signing will be confirmed on Sunday.
Amos was an ever-present for Charlton last season, making 46 appearances and keeping 17 clean sheets.
Wigan have already brought in Max Power, Jack Whatmough, Gwion Edwards, Tom Naylor and Jordan Cousins on free transfers.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article