UFC: McGregor lets punches fly in training for Poirier fight
Current unified welterweight world champion Errol Spence Jr has launched a thinly-veiled dig at boxing rival Manny Pacquiao amid reports that the 42-year-old legend will face UFC star Conor McGregor in the near future. It was announced last year that a deal between the Irishman and Pacquiao was being discussed, but a formal agreement has still yet to come to fruition.
McGregor will return to combat sport for the first time since the beginning of 2020 later this month as he faces Dustin Poirier for a second time at UFC 257.
His next move is rumoured to be a fight with Pacquiao under MMA rules, but the Filipino’s successor to his welterweight crown has suggested that a bout would fail to pique the interest of fight fans.
Spence, who currently holds the IBF and WBC world titles, took to Twitter on Monday evening to indirectly address the speculation surrounding Pacquiao and McGregor’s future plans.
“Nobody care bout none of that,” Spence claimed.
The American is said to be hoping for a bout with Pacquiao in the near future, but could be forced to wait if the veteran finalises an agreement to face McGregor.
JUST IN: Dana White has Khabib plan amid calls for Conor McGregor UFC rematch
It is believed that both fighters are keen to meet each other in the ring with Audie Attar – who manages both McGregor and Pacquiao – claiming earlier this month that a future clash between the pair is only a matter of time.
“I definitely believe it’s inevitable for 2021,” Attar told Dubai Eye 103.8 Sport.
“Both fighters want it, that’s the key. You can’t make something happen or orchestrate it or choreograph it – which is the buzzword of this interview – you can’t fake that.
“If one side wants it and the other doesn’t, it’s not going to happen. But when both fighters want that fight to happen, why wouldn’t it happen?
“If the fans want to see it – that almost guarantees that it’s going to happen, right? As there’s enough interest to develop something there.”
Attar also revealed that talks have been ongoing for some time, with a number of potential locations for the fight having been sounded out.
“That’s what both fighters want,” he continued. “So, that’s the plan. We’ve been having amazing conversations with stakeholders across the world, including the Middle East.
“We’ll see where it goes. I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen in 2021.”
McGregor has the opportunity to stretch his tally of UFC victories to 23 later this month with a winning performance over Poirier, who was knocked out inside two minutes of the first bell in their previous meeting in 2014.
Source: Read Full Article