Gary O'Neil insists Newcastle's second goal was 'never a penalty'

Gary O’Neil insists Newcastle’s second goal against Wolves was ‘never ever a penalty’ and calls Anthony Taylor’s decision to award the visitors a spot kick on the brink of half-time ‘terrible’

  • Gary O’Neil criticised the decision to award Newcastle a penalty against Wolves
  • Callum Wilson netted from the spot but the hosts fought back to secure a point
  • Listen to the latest episode of Mail Sport’s podcast ‘It’s All Kicking Off!’ 

Gary O’Neil lamented the referee’s decision to award Newcastle a penalty on the brink of half-time as his side came from behind twice to secure a point on Saturday.

After a frenetic start, the visitors drew first blood at Molineux with Callum Wilson latching on to a mistake from Jose Sa to fire his side into the lead.

Wolves remained in the game though, and Mario Lemina netted his first goal for the club from a corner to equalise after 36 minutes.

With the game approaching the interval, referee Anthony Taylor would controversially point to the spot after Hwang Hee-chan brought down Fabian Schar whilst attempting to clear.

A VAR check ensued, but the decision stood and Wilson maintained his side’s hot streak from twelve yards to restore their lead on the brink of half-time.

Gary O’Neil lamented the decision to award a penalty against his side as they drew 2-2 with Newcastle

Referee Anthony Taylor pointed to the spot after Hwang Hee-chan caught Fabian Schar

Your browser does not support iframes.

Speaking on the incident following the game O’Neil insisted the he couldn’t understand why VAR had not overturned the referee’s decision.

‘[Newcastle’s] second goal was never ever a penalty, ever.’ He told Sky Sports.

‘It was a terrible decision on-field and from VAR [but] we managed to bounce back. 

The hosts came out of the traps firing on all cylinders in the second-half, and Hwang atoned for his earlier error by latching on to a great run from Tote Gomes to fire home from close range.

O’Neil added that he was proud of his side’s performance as they extended their unbeaten streak in the Premier League to five games.

O’Neil insisted that the contact was ‘never ever a penalty’ as Callum Wilson put the Magpies back in the lead

But the Wolves boss praised his team’s performance as they came from behind in the second half to secure a point

‘I thought we were the most likely [to win], I thought in the second-half we had control.’ O’Neil added.

‘They had a few set plays towards the end but for the boys to put in a performance like that against a Champions League team that I saw pull apart PSG not too long ago is a big effort from them. 

‘So, it’s a good point but you feel that if a few things had just gone our way we were value for three.’ 


It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, launching with a preview show today and every week this season.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify

Your browser does not support iframes.

Source: Read Full Article